Lent Study: The God of the Lord's Prayer-Week 1
March 10 - Week 1
God Our Father is Holy
- What images does the word “father” bring to mind? Positive? Difficult? Good? Bad?
- Read Luke 11:9-13. Describe the concept of God as your Father.
- What is the context of the Lord’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13 and why is this significant?
- What is the context of the Lord’s Prayer in Luke 11:1-4 and why is this significant?
- Why was it different for the disciples to call God “Our Father”? Read Genesis 15:7; Exodus 6:3; Exodus 3:13-15 and Psalm 20:1. How was God known to the disciples?
- How can we call God “Father”? See Galatians 3:26; Romans 8:15-17; Hebrews 4:16; 1John 3:1.
- How does knowing God as Father affect how we pray? Ephesians 3:11-15; Hebrews 4:16.
- When we talk about God’s name, to what and whom are we referring? Read Exodus 3:14; Psalm 83:18; Revelation 1:8; Revelation 19:16; John 8:12
- What are some of the characteristics of God? Which of these have you experienced?
- What does it mean that God is holy?
1 Samuel 2:2
- Read Exodus 20:1-7. What do these verses say about who God is and His characteristics?
- According to these verses, how do we honor God’s name?Deuteronomy 10:12
13. Read Romans 8:15, Mark 14:36, and Galatians 4:6. How is this different from what you read in 1 Samuel 2:2 and Isaiah 6:3? How do you reconcile addressing the holiness of God with the intimacy of the Father?