- In verse one, the psalmist speaks of depths. In Hebrew, this refers to deep waters and the sense of sinking into the depths of the sea. What is it that threatens to crush the psalmist?
- When have you felt in the depths as the psalmist has? How has God delivered you?
- In what ways has sorrow deepened your relationship with God?
- Read Psalm 139:1-12 and Isaiah 43:2. What is our hope when we are in the depths?
- How do the following passages describe waiting on the Lord? Isaiah 40:28-31; Lamentations 3:25; and 2 Peter 3:8-9.
- What have been your experiences as you waited on the Lord?
- What is the assurance we have that God keeps His promises? Matthew 24:35 and Hebrews 11:1-3.
- Although our sins are great, how great is God’s mercy and forgiveness? See Isaiah 43:25 and Hebrews 8:12.
- How have you known the steadfast love of the Lord? (verse 7)
- How has Jesus set us free from the depths of sin, and how do our lives reflect that?